Name of Date of Date of Defendant Crime Disposition Disposition
- Zimmerlee, Joseph 09/11/1848 Reversed 01/15/1849
- Hess, Joseph 04/07/1882 Reversed 02/23/1883
- Long, Clarence 12/22/1907 Reversed 05/04/1908
- Smith, Robert 07/05/1908 Reversed 01/30/1909
- Leach, John 07/01/1915 Reversed 05/24/1916
- Adams, David 12/07/1917 Suicide 06/12/1918
- Johnston, Herbert Dewey 07/02/1918 Reversed 03/20/1920
- Paller, Theodore 04/13/1919 Reversed 10/01/1920
- Rastelli, Daniel 12/23/1922 Reversed 12/08/1924
- Ciccia, Vincenzo 08/26/1927 Reversed 12/30/1927
- Delforte, Oreste 08/26/1927 Reversed 12/30/1927
- Smith, Robert 10/04/1930 Died in Jail 03/14/1931
Author: Bill Lofquist
I am a sociologist and death penalty scholar at the State University of New York at Geneseo. I am also a Pittsburgh native. My present research focuses on the history of the death penalty in Allegheny County (Pittsburgh), Pa.
This website is dedicated to collecting, analyzing, and sharing information about all Allegheny County cases in which a death sentence was imposed.
Please share any questions or comments, errors or omissions, or other matters of interest related to these cases or to the broader history of the death penalty in Allegheny County.
View all posts by Bill Lofquist